Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12-17-11: The Beginning of the End


THE DARK KNIGHT RISES-PROLOGUE (2011) (PG-13) 6 mins. ***1/2 D: Christopher Nolan.

While attempting to coerce information from a trio of prisoners, a CIA operative comes face to face with the criminal mastermind Bane.

Like "The Dark Knight" this is the opening of the new film "The Dark Knight Rises." It's unfair to compare the two but unfortunately it is inevitable and cannot be helped when the latter just doesn't have the impact that the former had.

The opening of "The Dark Knight" was thrilling, especially in IMAX. The Joker's introduction was memorable. The prologue left you eager to see the film which wouldn't arrive for another nine months. With "The Dark Knight Rises" I didn't feel the same way. I kinda shrugged at the fact that it was so been there-done that. It felt like I was watching a mash up of "Licence to Kill," "Cliffhanger" and even "Jurassic Park III."

Now the major problem with the prologue and trailer that I truly hope is addressed before the film opens is Bane's dialogue. You can't understand a damn thing he's saying. There are times where you can make it out but I find myself missing the movie because I'm trying to understand what he's saying. "Dlae thea tee". "I'm sorry what?" "Dlae thea tee." "I didn't quite get that, come again." Seriously.

"The Dark Knight Rises" is one of my most eagerly anticipated films of 2012. After this prologue it's most anticipated. Honestly, there's no way it will every reach the heights of "The Dark Knight" but at the very least I hope it's a damn good finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment