Thursday, December 15, 2011

12-14-11: Crude, Crass with a Great Deal of Class


BRIDESMAIDS (2011) (R) **** 125 mins. D: Paul Feig. Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Chris O'Dowd.

After being chosen by her best friend to be her Maid of Honor, Annie's life begins to make some interesting turns that lead to hilarity and heartache.

I completely skipped this when it opened in theatres. When I saw the trailer it looked kinda funny but it looked to me like a female "Hangover." After suffering through "Hangover Part II" I never looked back at this one. Oh, well. Gotta kick myself for missing one of the funniest films of the year.

I was not expecting this to have so much heart. It was surprisingly touching. The humor and gags feel very natural and not set up for pure shock value like the ones in the "Hangover" films. What sets this apart is it always manages to stay grounded. The characters seem very real and they aren't stereotypically "stupid." The acting is very good and everyone is quite funny. Wiig and McCarthy really shine here.

Basically this is everything "The Hangover Part II" could have been and is easily one of the funniest "R" rated comedies of the last several years. If you missed it in theatres like I did, do yourself a favor and give it a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment