Monday, December 5, 2011

12-04-11: Trust this Man...avoid Trust the Man


TRUST THE MAN (2006) * 99 mins. D: Bart Freundlich. David Duchovny, Julianne Moore, Billy Crudup, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ellen Barkin.

A brother and sister find their relationships with their partners are beginning to fall apart. Rebecca fears her husband may be cheating on her and Tobey fears he's losing his longtime girlfriend because of his commitment issues.

This dramatic-comedy about relationships fails on many levels. It is no surprise that this winning cast cannot elevate the material. It's such a waste of talent.

This film is suppose to be about relationships. My problem is I didn't give a damn about anyone, everyone comes of as a bitch or asshole. Why should I care, I don't like any of them. The story is pretty predictable and worst of all it devolves into a third act full of cheese and sit-com level humor that it implodes on itself.

After the first twenty minutes the film hadn't even begun to establish just where it was going. I was bored and it was already losing me. At 99 minutes it felt insufferably long.

So trust me when I say skip "Trust the Man."

No comments:

Post a Comment