Monday, December 5, 2011

12-01-11: Let's Talk About Sex


A DANGEROUS METHOD (2011) *** 99 mins. D: David Cronenberg. Michael Fassbender, Viggo Mortensen, Kiera Knightley, Vincent Cassel.

While treating a patient, Carl Jung seeks the advice of Sigmund Freud and they begin to develop treatments and methods that give birth to modern psychoanalysis. Meanwhile, Jung becomes involved with the patient and finds he may have problems himself.

While to many the idea of two minds getting together and discussing psycho-babble would probably be boring. For me, I didn't get enough of that. I was more interested in their relationship then Jung's relationship with Spielrein. While the latter relationship did attribute to many new discoveries in psychoanalysis I just didn't find it all that engaging.

Acting wise, everyone is quite good. Unfortunately Knightley's Russian accent is noticeably inconsistent. I really enjoyed the discussions between Freud and Jung but there simply wasn't enough of it. I have no point of reference to say this is how they were but I felt Mortensen and Fassbender did well as Freud and Jung, respectively.

Cronenberg directed but it felt very generic. The film was based on a book but feels more like the play that also inspired it.

It was a good effort but didn't deliver what I was hoping to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment