Thursday, January 31, 2013

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978) **1/2




DIR: Robert Zemeckis
CAST: Nancy Allen, Bobby DiCicco, Susan Kendall Newman, Theresa Saldana, Wendie Jo Sperber
MPAA Rating: PG Running Time: 104 mins.


January 1964. The Beatles are about to appear on the Ed Sullivan show which is taped in New York City. A group of friends from New Jersey make their way to the Big Apple and go to great lengths to see the Fab Four any way possible.

Robert Zemeckis' first feature film is a fairly entertaining little comedy that finds itself a bit off the mark from time to time. The humor comes off as a bit hackneyed probably because this sort of comedy has been done so many times since. There are moments that simply weren't that funny because the characters were just too annoying or irritating that I really couldn't enjoy myself. Whenever they appeared, the movie stopped for me. However the parts that do work are very enjoyable, namely Nancy Allen, Theresa Saldana and Marc McClure. For me these three were the heart of the film and I would have enjoyed it more if it just focused on them. Their story arcs felt more genuine and not too sitcom like.

I know the point of the film was meant for the viewer to just have a fun nostalgic time but instead I found myself longing to watch other films like "A Hard Days Night" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment