Monday, February 4, 2013

Across the Universe (2007) **




Director: Julie Taymor
Cast: Jim Sturgess, Evan Rachael Wood, Joe Anderson, Dana Fuchs
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Running Time: 133 mins


In the midst of the Vietnam War, a lad from Liverpool arrives in the states and falls for an upper-class American girl. Their romance grows during a tumultuous period in American history.

I don't know exactly what it was. Usually I can really get into a movie like this. "Moulin Rouge" excellent. "Rock of Ages" wasn't bad. However for some reason this one didn't resonate with me. Kind of odd since I am a Beatles fan. Like the two films I mentioned the music of the Beatles is used to either propel the story or underscore what is going on at the time. I suppose it really came down to I just didn't connect with anyone in the movie. Now that I think of it, I felt the same way after seeing "Rent" the movie but that wasn't populated by covers.

There were times where the songs were used effectively but others where it just got a little too cute or telegraphed. Taymor is usually a striking visionary but here she is just average. Look at films like "Titus" or "The Tempest", the look of this film can't compare. I really don't know what can be done to improve the experience. Afterwards I found myself really wanting to watch "A Hard Days Night." It's rather unfair to compare that musical masterpiece with this failed experiment. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to let it be...sorry had to go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment