Sunday, December 27, 2009

What the hell is "Knowing" doing in your top 20 of the year?

Great science fiction makes you think.  Great science fiction makes you ponder the possibilities.  Great science fiction makes you ask "What if?"  Great science fiction makes you say WTF and then after thinking about it you go Wow!  

I was watching "Knowing" totally going along with the story.  When the big reveal occurs I was stunned to the point where I said that was ridiculous.   However moments later I asked, "What if?"   The whole film became clear to me and became what true science fiction does.  It presents ideas that can make you question what you know and make you think that as ridiculous as it may sound it's plausible.

I don't want to reveal much about the film.  Nicolas Cage comes into  possession of a note that contains random numbers on it.  In time, he discovers these numbers are dates that correspond to tragic moments throughout history.  It also contains dates to events yet to occur and soon these events start happening.    You think you know what's going on but you don't.   Having seen countless movies, I thought I knew how things would unfold but I was wrong.

The film is directed by Alex Proyas who made The Crow, I Robot and the sci-fi classic Dark City. 

Avatar was a fantastic film.  I'm not saying this is better but unlike Avatar, Knowing really made me think.

Go in with an open-mind, leave any preconceived notions at the door and let the tale unfold. 

Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it.  Either way you'll have something to talk about when it's done.

KNOWING - ****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment